Design and Prototyping
Faculty of Science
Reference no. 1730/0918C
- Be valued for your experience using a wide range of precision machining and fabrication techniques. Opportunity to provide a variety of prototyping services for a diverse scientific community
- Full-time Continuing Employment, Located at Camperdown Campus
- Base Salary: $73,358 p.a. Level 5, plus leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation.
About the opportunity
Reporting to the Manager Design and Prototyping, the successful candidate will provide mechanical workshop services that support teaching, research and general maintenance, for the Faculty of Science, using a variety of precision machining, general fabrication and welding techniques. This role is supported by an extensive range of manual and CNC equipment within the Mechanical Workshop based in the School of Physics, with supporting satellite workshops available in other Faculty of Science premises.
Position duties include:
- Collaborate with staff, academics and students on prototyping projects
- Learn from and be led by experienced staff to support the teams project goals
- Create prototypes for teaching and research using a wide range of manual precision machining and fabrication techniques
- Perform repairs and maintenance on a range of research and teaching equipment
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Technical Officer (Mechanical) who possesses:
- Fitting and Machining and/or Tool making Certificate or equivalent
- Experience in working with a wide range of materials
- Extensive experience in operation of manual precision machining, fabrication, welding and CNC plant and equipment
- Ability to work in a complex and challenging technical environment.
Please refer to the Candidate Information Pack for a detailed Position Description. To be considered, it is essential that you upload a resume and address the online selection criteria.
The Faculty of Science is one of six faculties operating within the University and includes the Schools of Chemistry, Geosciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics, Physics, Psychology, the Sydney School of Veterinary Science and the Unit for History and Philosophy of Science. The School of Chemistry is a very large research active school comprising over 30 full time academic staff and approximately 100 research staff, 100 research students and 34 technical, professional and administrative staff. It administers and delivers undergraduate teaching for approx. 2500 students.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 6000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change, which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 1730/0918C to apply.
Closing date: Closing date: 11:30pm, 7 October 2018 (Sydney Time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
If we think your skills are needed in other areas of the University, we will be sure to contact you about other opportunities.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.