Sydney Medical School
Reference no. 715/0418C
- Fantastic opportunity to develop an academic career based on your science and statistical aptitude, skills and experience
- Opportunity to play a key role in shaping the assessment programs of the Sydney MD Program
- Full-time continuing position, remuneration package of $120K - $143K, which includes leave loading and up to 17% super
About the opportunity
The overall purpose of the position is to play a key role in the design, implementation and evaluation of the current and future assessment program of the Sydney MD Program (SMP). The successful applicant will be closely involved in the development of several planned innovations for assessment including a new item bank, improved feedback for students and new assessments for the 2020 curriculum renewal. Opportunities for leadership, research and/or specialisation in assessment would be provided.
More specific purposes of the position are to:
- design current written and clinical assessments in conjunction with key academics
- analyse current assessments using item response theory
- prepare reports for the Examination Committee on examination and student metrics
- track student performance over time within the program
- contribute to improving website information on assessments for students
- co-ordinate delivery of assessment programs with professional staff
- contribute to research in medical education assessment, including selection processes
We are looking for a Lecturer who has:
- post graduate qualifications in science, social science or statistics
- excellent statistical knowledge and experience in using SPSS/ SAS
- advanced database skills in Excel and/or ACCESS
- excellent written and verbal communication
- previous experience in developing and evaluating assessment tools, preferably in tertiary education
- demonstrated capacity to design and implement database and feedback systems
- a demonstrated research track record with publications, consultancies, grants or fellowships
- broad knowledge of the Australian health system and/or health professional education
- experience with Item Response Theory would be highly advantageous but is not essential.
The University of Sydney’s vision and values encourage courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity
The Education Office of the Sydney Medical School is responsible for the delivery, management and evaluation of the Sydney Medical Program (SMP). The Assessment & Evaluation Unit is responsible for producing, implementing, analysing and evaluating written and clinical assessment across the four years of the SMP. We facilitate the design of assessment by consulting with a wide range of academics and ensure that progression decisions are based on valid and reliable data.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Closing date: 17 May 2018
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.