Information Technology Traineeship - [Archived Advertisement]
Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) (View other jobs from this organisation)
Information Technology Traineeship
These positions are only located in Canberra, ACT. Remote working options are not available.
The Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) protects Australia and Australians from threats to their security. In a complex, challenging and changing security environment, our success is built on the imagination and intelligence of our team. ASIO’s people are ordinary Australians but they do extraordinary things – they are our most important asset. To be successful in our mission, we need talented people who are highly capable, dedicated, adaptable and resilient.
We seek to reflect the diversity of the community we protect. ASIO is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, where all staff are valued and respected. We welcome applications from all eligible candidates, irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religious affiliation, age or disability. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are encouraged to apply. We are secretive about what we do, not what we value.
Are you seeking a career in an intelligence agency where you can contribute and make a difference to the security of Australia?
Do you have an interest in Information Technology?
ASIO is offering an exciting opportunity to join our Information Technology (IT) Traineeship which is undertaken over a period of two years. As a Trainee, you will complete a Certificate IV in Information Technology as well as receiving on the job training. ASIO will pay for your training and provide you with a mentor who will offer support and guidance throughout your traineeship.
As an IT Trainee in ASIO, you will undertake work placements across multiple teams, including but not limited to:
- Server Services – supports and maintains the server and storage infrastructure, virtualisation and containerisation platforms along with critical enterprise applications which underpin ASIO’s enterprise IT environments.
- Digital Workspace – provide ICT Desktop Infrastructure (Virtual and Physical) and Identity Management solutions supporting ASIO’s digital workspace across the globe.
- Networking Data, Voice and Video – monitors and manages ASIO IP data networks.
- Cyber Security – manages the cyber security needs of the Organisation.
- Service Management – first point of contact to the ICT world of ASIO.
- Project Management & Business Analysis – develops new capabilities for ASIO.
- Software Development & Support – provides a range of services in the development and support of corporate applications.
As part of the two-year Traineeship you will undertake a Certificate IV in Information Technology. You will be assigned a mentor who will provide general support and guidance, as well as being supported during your rotations by existing ASIO ICT professionals.
You will undertake four rotations, for a period of six months each. These rotations provide you with hands on experience in multiple work areas within the Organisation and across a variety of technology platforms. This will provide you with a solid understanding as to where you would like to steer your career.
During the IT Traineeship you will earn a starting salary of $63,769 plus 15.4% superannuation. In addition to your salary, ASIO will cover the costs relating to the completion of a Certificate IV in Information Technology and will give you time within your working week to complete your studies.
On successful completion of the IT Traineeship program you will be promoted to an Information Technology Employee Level 1.1 with a salary of $89,967 plus 15.4% superannuation.
We invite applications from candidates who can demonstrate the following:
- Passion for ICT and related professions.
- Display an ongoing commitment to learning and developing new skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in dynamic teams.
ASIO provides a number of benefits to its staff including:
- A competitive salary, including a 7.5 per cent allowance for maintaining a Top Secret security clearance at the highest level.
- Employer superannuation contributions of 15.4 per cent.
- A variety of leave options, including four weeks annual leave.
- Flexible working hours/arrangements to assist you to maintain your work-life balance (please note: due to our unique working environment, work from home options may not be available).
- Seven staff-led diversity and inclusion networks.
- Study assistance, including financial support and study leave for tertiary education.
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
To be eligible for the role, you must be:
- An Australian citizen.
- Assessed as suitable to hold and maintain a Top Secret security clearance at the highest level.
ASIO is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, where all staff are valued and respected. We welcome and value applications from all eligible candidates, irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religious affiliation, age or disability. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are encouraged to apply.
Please advise us if you require any additional assistance in order to fully participate in the recruitment process or the workplace.
These positions are located in Canberra, ACT. Relocation assistance may be provided to successful candidates where ASIO requires you to relocate.
How to apply
Click on ‘Apply online’ to commence your application. Your application must include the following:
- An up-to-date CV, no more than two pages in length.
- A response to the following question (no more than 500 words):
- Why do you consider ASIO’s IT Traineeship to be a good career opportunity for you? In your response describe:
- Why did you apply?
- What are you looking for out of the traineeship?
- What do you think you could bring to the Organisation?
All employment decisions and selection processes at ASIO are based on merit principles and candidates must be prepared to undergo various selection stages.
ASIO holds all employment applications in the strictest of confidence. It is essential that you do the same. Please do not discuss your application with others as doing so may adversely affect your potential employment.
Closing date and time
Wednesday 31 January 2024 at 5:00pm AEDST
Employment is under the ASIO Act 1979. Conditions of service are similar to those applying in the Australian Public Service. We recognise entitlements accrued under the Public Service Act 1999 and provide for continuation of superannuation under the Commonwealth schemes. Salary packaging arrangements are also available.
We thank all applicants for their interest in applying. In accordance with ASIO policy, we will notify unsuccessful candidates but will not provide feedback on any aspect of the selection process.
For more information about ASIO, please visit: www.asio.gov.au
- Closing Date:
- 31 Jan 2024
- ACT - Canberra
- $63,769 - $95,213
- Work Type:
- Full Time