CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Animal Infectious Diseases - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Animal Infectious Diseases
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Do you have a PhD in Virology, Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, Ex Vivo Models, Electron Microscopy, Immunology, Vaccine Development, Diagnostic Test Validation Science or a related field?
- Want to contribute to research in the prevention, detection and response to exotic disease threats?
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
There are up to two CERC Postdoctoral Fellow positions available at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP). ACDP’s purpose, in preparedness, prevention, detection and response to exotic disease threats affecting animals and people, is primarily delivered through the science it conceives and performs, along with managing the unique facility that is the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP). This delivers directly to three of CSIROs challenges - a Secure Australia and Region, Food Security & Quality and Health & Wellbeing.
These CERC Postdoctoral Fellows will aim to increase our research capability in Animal Infectious Diseases Research. The specific Project Opportunities are in:
- Vaccine immunology – developing tools to assess post vaccination responses.
- Virus evolution and phylodynamics of potentially zoonotic avian influenza and other EID viruses
Your duties will include:
- Carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Recognise and exploit opportunities for innovation and the generation of new theoretical perspectives, and progress opportunities for the further development or creation of new lines of research.
- Utilise design thinking methodology to plan and prepare research proposals, and apply non-academic impact methodology to research projects.
- Carry out research investigations requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
Location: Geelong, VIC
Salary: AU$92k - AU$101k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Virology, Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, Ex Vivo Models, Electron Microscopy, Immunology, Vaccine Development, Diagnostic Test Validation Science. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
- A sound history of publication in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, grant applications or patents.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, including the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
20 March 2023, 11:00pm AEDT
Early applications are strongly encouraged for immediate consideration.
- Closing Date:
- 20 Mar 2023
- VIC - Geelong
- AU$92k - AU$101k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Research Assistants and Fellowships