CSIRO Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Postgraduate Scholarships - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Postgraduate Scholarships
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation and our science partnerships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities.
Solve Australia’s greatest challenges through innovative science and technology
We want you to be part of CSIRO’s impact!
- Are you an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Postgraduate STEM Student?
- Be part of the next generation of world-class scientists and engineers
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO is seeking applications from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Postgraduate STEM students to join Australia’s leading Science organisation.
CSIRO's Postgraduate Studentship programs assists with the development of future researchers of the innovation system and we provide a supportive environment where our people can flourish and thrive. There are Studentships for Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) and Master students to undertake research in fields of interest to CSIRO. The student's research is co-supervised by CSIRO and a university supervisor. Industry PhD students also have an industry supervisor.
We encourage and support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff and students to participate in cultural obligations, events, and cerebrations and our monthly forum offers a mechanism for the voices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to contribute to CSIRO’s directions.
While at CSIRO, you will be supported to create and develop a dynamic career that best fits your aspirations, have access to a range of world-class facilities across Australia, and be provided with coaching, training and development opportunities to help achieve your goals.
The opportunities we are offering
There are several types of postgraduate studentships available at CSIRO:
- CSIRO Sponsored Postgraduate Studentships: CSIRO pays a primary scholarship stipend and/or top-up stipend, provides funding for learning and development and ensures operating expenses are available for a postgraduate student working on a CSIRO-defined project.
- CSIRO-University Co-funded Postgraduate Studentships:?CSIRO and a university co-fund a primary and/or top-up scholarship for a postgraduate student working on a co-funded collaborative CSIRO-University project. Funding for learning and development and for operating expenses for the student to undertake the research should be provided by the university and/or by CSIRO.?
- CSIRO Supervised-only Postgraduate Studentships: CSIRO provides the postgraduate student with access to facilities and/or expertise to complete work that directly contributes to their PhD or Master thesis. The student should be a recipient of an external primary scholarship, usually from their university, or self-funded. CSIRO may provide operating expenses.
Other postgraduate studentship opportunities available
- Industry PhD (iPhD) Studentships:?The student undertakes a PhD project identified with, and supervised by, an industry partner. The iPhD program is offered in partnership with CSIRO, a university and an industry partner. The student is provided a primary scholarship stipend (Research Training Program (RTP) or equivalent), a top-up stipend, funds for learning and development and operating expenses.
- CSIRO Postgraduate Internships:?Are university approved internships where CSIRO supervises a postgraduate student working on a short-term CSIRO-defined project for work experience as part of their degree. Internships may be for coursework Master students completing a subject requiring an internship, and postgraduate research students undertaking a university approved internship. Students completing research for a thesis component of their studies should not be engaged as a CSIRO Postgraduate Intern.
For more information visit Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Postgraduate Scholarships - CSIRO
Location: Any CSIRO site in Australia
Stipend: Will vary depending on studentship opportunity
Tenure: Specified term of up to 3 years (various lengths available depending on degree)
Current postgraduate studentship vacancies
We are keen to hear from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who have studied Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths and have an additional interest in people who would like to pursue a postgraduate studentship in the following fields:
- Chemistry (e.g. organic synthetic chemistry, medicinal chemistry, natural products, drug discovery, polymer chemistry, inorganic chemistry)
- Biology (e.g. cell biology, microbiology, biological assays, biologics, vaccines)
- Engineering (e.g. medical devices, biomaterials, sensors, energy applications, material science)
- Agricultural science
- Environmental science
- Soil science
Who is eligible?
CSIRO considers the filling of these scholarships is intended to constitute a special/equal opportunity/affirmative measure under section 8(1) of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth).
The scholarships are therefore only open to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people with Australian Citizenship. The successful candidates will be required to provide evidence to confirm that they are an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person.
Where to from here!
If you are interested in a CSIRO Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Postgraduate Scholarship, submit an application today!
Talent Acquisition is partnering with individual business units across CSIRO to review applications. We are excited to hear from you and will be in touch with you where there is a potential match to a Postgraduate Scholarship opportunity.
If you prefer to have an informal chat before putting in your application, you can contact our Indigenous Talent Acquisition Team at IndigenousCareers@csiro.au for more information.
How to Apply
To apply for CSIRO’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Postgraduate Scholarships, please apply on-line via this website.
To appropriately assess your application, we ask that you provide a cover letter and resume/CV detailing your current work, education experience and research interests.
If you experience difficulties applying online call 1300 984 220 and someone will be able to assist you. Outside business hours please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are open all year round!
- Closing Date:
- 26 Nov 2022
- Work Type: