Top teachers recognised with national award
05 December 2012
Six of the nation's best school teachers have been recognised at the 2013 Australian Awards for Outstanding Teaching and School Leadership.
Federal Minister for School Education, Peter Garrett, said the six recipients were selected from a pool of 48 of the nation's top teachers.
“The awards were an opportunity to thank all teachers and school leaders who work every day to make a real difference to their students, schools and communities," Mr Garrett said.
The 2012 six national category winners are:
- Australian Early Childhood Teacher of the Year Award: Rebecca Andrews, John Brotchie Nursery School, NSW
- Australian Primary Teacher of the Year Award: Will Davis, Tom Price Primary School, Western Australia
- Australian Secondary Teacher of the Year Award: Daniel Buttacavoli, Emmanuel College, Victoria
- Australian Primary Principal of the Year Award: Loretta Hamilton, Courtenay Gardens Primary School, Victoria
- Australian Secondary Principal of the Year Award: Shayne Player, Tuggerah Lakes Secondary College, Tumbi Umbi Campus, NSW
- Australian Government Minister’s Award for Excellence in Teaching or Leadership in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education: Michael Hansen, Cairns West State School, Queensland
More information on the Australian Awards for Outstanding Teaching and School Leadership can be found at: www.aitsl.edu.au/2012awards.