SA strikes teacher pay deal
The South Australian Government has struck an agreement with the state’s school teachers that will see a 3 per cent per annum pay rise and more maternity leave as part of the latest enterprise agreement.
State Minister for Education, Jennifer Rankine, said that Teachers, Aboriginal Education Workers, School Services, Preschool Teachers and Early Childhood Workers would all benefit from the agreement struck earlier this week.
“They will receive eight periods of back pay in their pay slips from tomorrow,” Ms Rankine said.
“Importantly the agreement also includes an increased entitlement in Paid Maternity Leave and Paid Adoption Leave.
“There is an increase from 14 weeks to 16 weeks for employees with less than five years’ service and 18 weeks for employees with greater than five years’ service.
“Our most experienced classroom teachers can be on an annual salary of $91,751 by the end of this agreement.
“The State Government is extremely proud of teachers and support staff in South Australia.”
Phase 1 of the agreement (effective from October 12, 2012) includes:
- A 3 per cent pay increase effective for all school employees covered by the 2012 Enterprise Agreement.
- An additional Teacher Step 9 and Advanced Skills Teacher pay increase of $500 per annum.
- Restructured Seconded Teacher classifications and Variations to On-Call Allowances.
There is also an increase of 3 per cent to the Country Incentive Allowance Payment from 24 January 2013.
Phase 2 includes:
- Implementation of new Leadership Structures for schools and preschools which includes pay increases effective from 1 February 2013.
- Creation of additional increment steps for Schools Services Officers levels 1 and 2, Early Childhood Workers levels 1 and 2 and Aboriginal Education Workers levels 1 and 2 who complete recognised qualifications.
Other initiatives include:
- New definitions for full time, part time and casual employment for School Services Officers and Early Childhood Workers effective for appointments commencing in term 3, 2013.
- Highly Accomplished Teacher and Lead Teacher trial in 2014-2015.
- Key Teacher fallback provisions to be extended to preschool teachers
- Locality Allowances for Whyalla and Kangaroo Island schools.
- Relief Teaching payments for those teachers working above their maximum workload.