Professor of Cancer Medicine - [Archived Advertisement]
University of Newcastle (View other jobs from this organisation)
PROFESSOR OF CANCER MEDICINE
UNIVERSITY OF NEWCASTLE, NSW
- The Faculty of Health and Medicine, University of Newcastle is seeking a world class research leader with a background in oncology and a higher degree in a breast cancer related discipline.
- Lead, develop and drive world class research in cancer medicine though University collaboration with health services and key research partners.
- Newly created, high profile research leadership role.
Recognised as one of Australia’s strongest educational brands, The University of Newcastle has developed the most comprehensive health faculty of its kind in Australia, underpinned by unique local and international research collaboration. In partnership with Breast Cancer Trials (the largest independent oncology clinical trials research group in Australia and New Zealand), the Hunter Cancer Research Alliance and the Hunter New England Local Health District (the only truly integrated metropolitan and regional health services in Australia), this represents a unique environment in which to collaborate and create meaningful and impactful translational research outcomes.
In this newly created, intellectually challenging and pivotal leadership role, the Professor of Cancer Medicine will:
- Work closely with key stakeholders including Breast Cancer Trials (BCT), Hunter New England Local Health District (HNELHD), the Hunter Cancer Research Alliance and a diverse team of University of Newcastle academic and professional staff and students, to advance broad spectrum cancer research and teaching across the University;
- Lead the role of Director of Research, BCT; responsible for the scientific and clinical conduct of the BCT research program and promoting BCT clinical trials and fundraising activities;
- Focus heavily, but not exclusively, on breast cancer clinical trials, in close collaboration with BCT, with an emphasis on innovative treatments and research translation, including health service research;
- Foster collaborative and dynamic relationships at a national and international level and promote a productive and globally competitive research environment through research collaboration, external grant income, publication outputs, and research higher degree graduates.
We are seeking a world class research leader with a background in medical oncology, surgery or radiation oncology, with a specialist focus on breast cancer. You will ideally hold a Level E appointment, but we will consider strong Level D applicants who are deemed appointable to Level E. Whilst being recognised as a leader in your own research field, we are seeking someone who can take a broader view across the cancer spectrum and build collaboration and integration across all these networks. Outstanding leadership, interpersonal and communication skills are essential in this senior role, with the natural ability to bring people on board through your enthusiasm and intellectual curiosity. We also encourage suitable applications from Australian academic leaders currently working overseas who are looking to return to Australia. The successful applicant will be offered a clinical appointment at the HNELHD.
This is a coveted opportunity for an accomplished cancer specialist to join the University of Newcastle and BCT and support their vision to stand as a global leader, creating a better future through innovation, impact, research excellence and a commitment to equity.
Located in Newcastle, NSW, this role not only offers a rare leadership opportunity within cancer research to build a truly collaborative integrated research network, but the chance to enjoy the advantages of living in a vibrant, innovative and cultural city which offers an outstanding quality of life. Located in the Hunter Region, Newcastle is home to beautiful beaches and on the doorstep of the world class wineries of the Hunter Valley, boasting all the advantages of big city life without the stress or high cost of living.
Applications close on Wednesday 29th May. Derwent Search has been appointed to undertake an executive search on behalf of the University of Newcastle. For a confidential conversation about this position, please contact Rob Macmillan on +61 2 9091 3266. To apply or request an Executive Brief, please email Holly Porter, Research Coordinator, on firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference 25094.
- Closing Date:
- 29 May 2019
- NSW - Newcastle
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Teaching - Tertiary