The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia's leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff.
Integral to the Garvan are its biobanks which contain tissue and blood samples from consented participants. We are currently seeking a Technician to undertake blood-processing duties to expand the collection of the biobanks.
The Blood Processing Technician will be responsible for processing blood samples and then preparing the samples for storage and entry of information onto a database. The ordering of supplies, adherence to occupational health and safety guidelines and record keeping are also part of the responsibilities of the incumbent.
Reporting to the Histology Manager, the key responsibilities include:
- Processing of blood samples collected as part of the biobanks
- Strict adherence to Study Protocols
- The meticulous preparation and barcoding of the blood samples
- Centrifuge handling and maintenance
- Aliquoting and snap freezing of samples
- Data entry and ensuring its accuracy onto a database
- Maintaining, auditing and implementing changes to electronic databases
- Assistance with specific projects
- Contributing to the writing of standard operating procedures and other manuals
- Working closely and effectively with small teams, planning and prioritising work to meet all commitments
The position will be full-time for 1 year in the first instance and is renewable.
You will have the following skills and experience:
- TAFE or university degree in science, applied science, health or a health related discipline
- Excellent computer and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent data entry skills
- Ability to carry out duties under supervision
- Ability to work as a team member
- Ability to work autonomously
- High degree of flexibility (flexible hours)
- Understanding of good laboratory practice guidelines
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via Garvan's Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Please include the following in your application:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
We are reviewing applications as they are received, as such candidates are encouraged to submit their application as soon as possible.