Support research initiatives that focus on improving health outcomes and healthcare disparities within Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and rural communities.
- Work in Local Communities
- Fixed-term contract to December 2025/26
- 5 weeks annual leave, cultural leave & flexible working arrangements
- 72,059 - $81,732 + 17% Super
Creating a brighter future for life in the Tropics and beyond, through education and research that makes a difference locally, and globally, James Cook University (JCU) is now looking to appoint an Indigenous Research Officer. This is full-time, fixed term to December 2025/26 opportunity is based at the JCU Centre for Rural and Remote Health in Emerald.
WHAT YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH IN THE ROLE
In this role you will build your research skills play a pivotal part in advancing research continuity by working closely with various stakeholders to identify and cultivate research areas aimed at enhancing health, services, and workforce outcomes. You'll also be responsible for fostering strong, trusting relationships with partners, communities, knowledge holders, and Traditional Custodians to bolster our research endeavours. Your contribution will extend to providing support to facilitate the delivery of research proposals, reports, and scientific papers, as well as actively engaging in research investigations to drive impactful outcomes. Join us in shaping the future of rural and remote health and make a meaningful impact on our mission!
WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO THE ROLE
- Degree qualifications in a relevant discipline (Health discipline, Public Health, Indigenous Studies, Rural Health, etc.)
- A commitment to advancing Indigenous rights, health equity, and ethical research practices.
- Informed organisational, problem solving and administrative skills, with the ability to prioritise and meet competing deadlines.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills in dealing with people from a variety of backgrounds both internal and external to the organisation.
ABOUT THE CENTRAL QUEENSLAND CENTRE FOR RURAL AND REMOTE HEALTH
The JCU Central Queensland Centre for Rural and Remote Health (CQCRRH) is based in Emerald. It is a Commonwealth funded University Department of Rural health, one of a national network of nineteen funded by the Rural Health Multidisciplinary Training program as a health workforce strategy. This Centre will enhance clinical training and placements, embedding students into practices, services, organisations and communities, as well as building vital engagement with Indigenous communities and build the evidence base for future policy and practice.
JCU prides itself on being dedicated to teaching, learning and research that is not only of high quality, but also delivers practical benefits to the peoples and industries of the region. JCU offers a culturally diverse working environment with opportunities for professional and personal growth – working under the values of Authenticity, Excellence, Integrity, and Respect.
We support our people through the provision of;
- generous superannuation scheme with up to 17% employer contributions
- attractive options for salary packaging
- flexible working arrangements
- five weeks annual recreation leave with cash out annual leave and time in lieu options
- 15 days paid sick/carers leave per year
- Up to 6 months of full paid parental leave
- relocation and accommodation assistance provided
- opportunities for professional and personal growth
- access to online media subscriptions
- corporate discount on health insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
HOW TO APPLY
Ready to embark on this exciting journey? Visit the Careers at JCU website and submit your application online.
Vacancy Reference Number 18610
If you would like to have a confidential discussion, please contact Kehinde Obamiro on 0455543491 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply