Professor in Educational Assessment, Evaluation and Policy - [Archived Advertisement]
- Exciting opportunity to contribute to the research enterprise of an internationally recognised Institute
- Work with a team of senior internationally-recognised scholars
- Full-time, continuing position located at our Brisbane CBD campus
- Appointment will be at the Academic Level E and based on the successful candidate’s experience and research track record
Australian Catholic University (ACU) is an inclusive community which welcomes students and staff of all beliefs. ACU has over 2,500 staff supporting more than 34,000 students across seven campuses – Adelaide, Ballarat, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, North Sydney and Strathfield.
As valued members of our community, all staff members are expected to have an understanding of ACU's mission and values and to demonstrate an active contribution to them.
The Institute for Learning Sciences & Teacher Education (ILSTE) is a national research institute hosting a team of internationally-renowned researchers and international scholars undertaking nationally-funded research studies with a range of industry-funded partners Our research draws on both qualitative and quantitative methodologies and includes large-scale, longitudinal studies and meta-analyses. A priority focus is on research relating to policy and practice.
ILSTE’s research focuses across six research programs:
Assessment, evaluation and student learning
- Sciences, technology, engineering and mathematics in education
Early childhood futures
Educational semiotics in English and literacy pedagogy
Teacher education, quality and professional practice
Data analytics and learning interventions
The Professor will contribute to the research enterprise of the ILSTE and work within a high performing research team of senior internationally recognised scholars. The successful applicant will contribute to the development of scholarship, research and/or professional activities in the Institute.
The position provides exciting opportunities to contribute to large-scale mixed method longitudinal research examining the quality and impact of teacher education on student learning as well as the impact of policy changes on the teaching workforce. In exploring the abstract notion of teacher/teaching quality, the research engages with the numerous international and national reviews and reform agenda that call for improved quality in teacher education and the already strong interest of governments in evidence of the quality of schooling and its effectiveness. Research projects underway in ILSTE focus on continuity and change in teacher education policy, practice and professional standards and the notion of accountability, examining their effects, particularly in the context of teacher preparation for diversity and human dignity.
More specifically the successful applicant will:
Conduct research of international standing in the area of teacher education and pursue opportunities for establishing inter-disciplinary teams
Produce world class publications as sole author and in collaboration with members of the Institute to be published in high-quality international peer-reviewed outlets.
Prepare and submit research grant applications and actively seek funding from external bodies
Provide high quality research supervision of early career researchers and higher degree research students as a principal or co-supervisor
Provide strong and collaborative local leadership of the research in teacher education and grow international partnerships in consultation with the Institute Director
For further information please see the position description attached.
The successful applicant will need to have:
PhD in initial teacher education with specialist focus in any of the following: professional practice, ITE curriculum, pedagogy, assessment, educational psychology and measurement, and professional standards
- A sustained strong track record of research achievement in teacher education research including aligned areas indicated above. This will be evidenced by high quality publications in leading international journals and in prestigious international publishing houses.
- Demonstrated ability to work individually and in research teams to deliver shared goals and meet deadlines
- Track record in working in interdisciplinary teams
- Success in securing and completing national competitive research grants and external research consultancies that show methodological strength
- A successful track record of early career researcher supervision and research student supervision through to completion.
- Demonstrated success in the leadership of a research team or academic administrative unit
- Demonstrate commitment to working in an environment of performance excellence, guided by ACU’s Service Principles
- Evidence of ability to show commitment with integrity to the Catholic Identity, Mission and ethos of the University
The University pursues an excellence agenda and offers an environment where staff are welcomed and safe, and valued through development, participation and involvement.
How to Apply:
This role is at Academic Level E. Appointment will be based on the successful candidates experience and research track record.
Obtain the Position Description via the ACU Careers website. Applicants are expected to address all selection criteria listed in the position description.
Total remuneration valued to AUD $212,205 pa, including salary component AUD$ $180,212 p.a. plus employer contribution to superannuation and annual leave loading.
Applications Close: Tuesday 25 June 2019 at 11.55pm
ACU is committed to diversity and social inclusion in its employment practices. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities and people from culturally diverse groups are encouraged.
- Closing Date:
- 25 Jun 2019
- Total remuneration valued to AUD $212,205 pa
- Work Type:
- Full Time