Water Security Cadetship (Identified Role - Indigenous) - [Archived Advertisement]
Water Security Cadetship (Identified Role - Indigenous)
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Gain paid work experience while studying an undergraduate degree
- Be part of the next generation of STEM scientists and researchers
- Join CSIRO – Australia's leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO’s Land and Water has an opportunity available for a Water Security Cadet to join their team and help them provide trusted solutions to share and secure water for people, industry and ecosystems.
CSIRO’s Cadetship Program provides opportunities to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander undergraduate STEM students to gain on the job work experience, development and mentorship to build a career with Australia’s leading scientific research organisation.
Our Cadetship program offers the combination of full-time or part-time study during the semester and flexible paid work placements within CSIRO each year for the duration of your degree.
While the Cadet is on a paid work placement within CSIRO, it is expected that the cadet will work collaboratively as part of a research team and undertake scientific and technological activities with other research staff usually by assisting with detailed planning, undertaking or assisting with experimental, observational or technology development work, and in carrying out the more practical aspects of the work.
Your duties will include:
While on paid placement within CSIRO, Cadets will:
- Respond courteously and efficiently to client requests, maintaining clear communication regarding mutual expectations and monitoring client satisfaction.
- Undertake and complete tasks under technical direction, working with discretion to decide on the timing of operations within the work team’s plan and planning ahead to meet experiment and/or project demands.
- Communicate openly, effectively and respectfully with all staff, clients and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Adhere to the spirit and practice of CSIRO’s Code of Conduct, Health, Safety and Environment procedures and policy, Diversity initiatives and Making Safety Personal goals.
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Canberra, ACT, or Adelaide, SA
Salary: Study allowance of $300 per week during periods of full-time study (pro-rata for part-time) + 12 weeks of paid work placement during each year of the cadetship program
Tenure: Specified Term of up to 4 years (duration or remainder of full-time or part-time study at an Australian University)
To be considered you will need:
- Currently enrolled in full-time or part-time study in an undergraduate degree at an Australian University in a STEM related field such as Biology, Environmental Science, Ecology, Hydrology, or Anthropology.
- Demonstrated experience participating and contributing to the goals and objectives of a team
- Ability to communicate openly, effectively and respectfully with a diverse range of people using a range of communication methods (i.e. verbal, written, report, presentations)
- A desire to build a research or scientific career in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics
CSIRO considers the filling of this position is intended to constitute a special/equal opportunity/affirmative measure under section 8(1) of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth).
The position is therefore only open to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people with Australian Citizenship. The successful applicant will be required to provide evidence to confirm that they are an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check and provide evidence that they are enrolled in an undergraduate degree with an Australian University.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
As a CSIRO Cadet you will receive:
- Study allowance of $300 per week during periods of full-time study (pro-rata for part-time study)
- Financial assistance of $500 per semester to assist with study costs
- 12 week paid work placement during each year of the cadetship
- Financial assistance to cover the cost of relocation during the 12-week work placement, including flights and accommodation, if required.
- Payment of Higher Education Contribution Scheme (HECS) costs upon successful completion of studies for the proportion of the course covered by the cadetship.
- Support from the Indigenous Talent Team and Indigenous Staff network.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
8 January 2023, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 08 Jan 2023
- Work Type: