CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Eco-Epidemiological Modelling - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Eco-Epidemiological Modelling
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Do you have a PhD in applied mathematics, machine learning, computer science, data science, or similar?
- Contribute to the CSIRO-James Cook University research programme on emerging infectious disease by improving understanding and prediction of disease spill-over
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
The successful candidate will be focused on developing generative Markov state models to understand and predict zoonotic spillover, taking into account environmental data. Additionally, to develop stochastic transmission models for specific pathogen case studies as diseases of interest arise. To ensure policy-relevance, model development will occur within an interdisciplinary environment, including virologists, ecologists, bioinformaticians, and veterinarians, amongst others as appropriate.
Your duties will include:
- Developing deep generative Markov state models to study eco-epidemiological applications.
- Developing other stochastic transmission models using a One Health approach for pathogens of interest.
- Collaborating across disciplines (virology, ecology, bioinformatics, vet sciences, applied biological mathematics, network science, computer science, epidemiology, behavioural sciences, behavioural economics, anthropology, etc) and organisations (CSIRO and JCU).
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
Location: Townsville, QLD
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as applied mathematics, machine learning, computer science, data science, or similar. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Modelling and simulation skills, including machine learning (particularly generative Markov state modelling), and mechanistic modelling (particularly in stochastic processes).
- Demonstrated scientific computing experience.
- Experience working collaboratively in interdisciplinary groups.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or Australian temporary residents currently residing in Australia. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
4 December 2022, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 04 Dec 2022
- QLD - Townsville
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Research Assistants and Fellowships