Research Assistant - Host Response
Research Assistant - Host Response
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Apply your experience in molecular biology and bioinformatics techniques
- Contribute to the development of new technologies for the detection of infectious diseases
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s premier research organisation
CSIRO’s CSIRO Health and Biosecurity are seeking a Research Assistant to be part of the Host Response Team based at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP) in Geelong. As a Research Assistant on our team, you will assist with projects focused on developing new technologies for the detection and diagnosis of infectious diseases. You will work with colleagues to progress projects relating to host-encoded microRNAs as disease biomarkers. Your experience will be in molecular biology, particularly RNA purification, quantitative real-time PCR and the preparation of cDNA libraries for next-generation sequencing. Experience with bioinformatics is also desired.
Your duties will include:
- Purifying microRNAs and other RNAs from circulating biofluids including sera, milk and saliva.
- Analysing microRNA expression using RNAseq and qRT-PCR.
- Assisting with tasks including data analysis and project administration.
- Recognising and exploiting opportunities for innovation and progressing opportunities for the further development or creation of new lines of research.
- Utilising methodology to plan and prepare research projects.
- Carrying out research investigations requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
- Recording, managing, and analysing data/information using relevant domain data science techniques.
Location: Geelong, VIC
Salary: AU$87k – AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of up to 12 months / Full-time
To be considered you will need:
- A relevant bachelor’s degree in Science or related disciplines, or equivalent relevant experience.
- Experience in molecular biology techniques such as RNA purification, molecular cloning, polymerase chain reaction, gel electrophoresis, and cDNA library preparation.
- Bioinformatics skills relating to the analysis of RNAseq or qRT-PCR data are desirable.
- A high level of written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally.
- A record of innovation and creativity, including the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
To be eligible for this position, you must currently be residing in Australia as:
- an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- a New Zealand citizen or
- an Australian temporary resident with the right to work for the duration of the proposed term (without the requirement for sponsorship by CSIRO). This does not include bridging and other visas which are dependent on the successful approval of future visas.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent as well as meet ACDP’s microbiological security requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
17 August 2021, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 17 Aug 2022
- VIC - Geelong
- AU$87k – AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Research Assistants and Fellowships