CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Natural Language Processing for Sustainability Data Science - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Natural Language Processing for Sustainability Data Science
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Do you have a PhD in Natural Language Processing and are interested in sustainability?
- Want to join the Valuing Sustainability Future Science Platform?
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
The Valuing Sustainability Future Science Platform (VS FSP) is a substantial new 5-year investment in cutting edge research by CSIRO that will recruit several post-docs who will be embedded diverse inter-disciplinary research teams. The VS FSP aims to co-produce future pathways, measures, and indicators to underpin sustainable innovation and prosperity for current and future industries and communities.
The successful candidate will be involved with developing and using Natural Language Processing, Information Retrieval and Artificial Intelligence methods as appropriate to the specific project goals to collect and analyse natural language data pertaining to knowledge about sustainability and related societal values.
The project will build upon CSIRO Data61’s Natural Language Processing capabilities, designing, and implementing new algorithms and software to ultimately improve specific sustainability decision-making.
Your duties will include:
- Diagnosing fit-for-purpose data science methodologies that can be deployed and scaled by CSIRO and its partners in tackling ongoing sustainability challenges.
- Collecting and analysing natural language data pertaining to knowledge about sustainability and related societal values.
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Recognising and using opportunities for innovation and the generation of new theoretical perspectives, and progress opportunities for the further development or creation of new lines of research and methodological advance in applied areas on social science.
- Utilising design thinking methodology to plan and prepare research proposals and apply non-academic impact methodology to research projects.
Location: Sydney, NSW
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Natural Language Processing (Information Extraction), Information Retrieval, Social Media Text Analytics, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, with an understanding of social sciences and investigations of interactions between actors, institutions, knowledge systems and decision-making. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- A strong foundation in data science methodologies and methods and demonstrated ability to design and undertake rigorous research with the support of an engaged team.
- Demonstrated capacity to engage effectively with stakeholder groups in development and conduct of projects or activities.
- Significant interest and/or experience in sustainability related issues
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
26 June 2022, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 26 Jun 2022
- NSW - Sydney
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Research Assistants and Fellowships