CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Direct Air Capture with Amine Solutions - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Direct Air Capture with Amine Solutions
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Do you have a PhD in chemical engineering, physics or mechanical engineering?
- Keen to address the global challenge of man-made climate change?
- Join the CSIRO Energy Team for this exciting 2 year postdoctoral role
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
Direct air capture is increasingly seen as a necessary part of the technology portfolio that will address the global challenge of man-made climate change. The Postdoctoral Fellow will develop and assess innovative gas-liquid contacting concepts that enable efficient capture of CO2 from ambient air. These concepts will be inspired by gas/liquid contactors found in nature such as leaves. Dedicated high surface area contactors and low energy requirement processes are needed to progress this technology towards large scale deployment. If successful a much broader range of CO2-storage and -utilisation options will become accessible enabling a large contribution to climate change mitigation.
Your duties will include:
- Performing process and equipment focused theoretical assessments of a variety of liquids systems and innovative contactor geometries, using state-of-the-art chemical engineering research tools.
- Designing and building bench-scale gas/liquid contactor systems and determining their effectiveness for direct air capture.
- Devising and conducting targeted experimental programs for validation of the technological concepts and process/equipment simulation models.
- Considering a range of potential opportunities for further development of the process concept and developing research proposals.
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as chemical engineering, physics or mechanical engineering. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have at least one year of postdoctoral research experience, but no more than 4 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Unwavering commitment to uphold and cultivate best Health, Safety and Environment practices in the workplace.
- Thorough grasp of fluid dynamics and mass transfer phenomena without and with chemical reaction.
- Excellent understanding of and/or practical or modelling experience with liquid absorbent-based CO2-capture processes.
- Excellent laboratory skills including the design and engineering of bench-scale experimental facilities.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents only.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
31 May 2022, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 31 May 2022
- NSW - Newcastle
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Research Assistants and Fellowships