CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Transformational Bioinformatics - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Transformational Bioinformatics
- Kick-start your research career in Bioinformatics
- Contribute to the development of genome-based analytics and clinical applications
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will be developing and leading a new initiative to identify actionable genomic insights from sequencing data that go beyond single-gene risk, annotation and rule-based assessments. Specifically, they will help develop machine learning methods that can identify novel disease genes or learn from historic expert annotations to prioritize variants for manual curation. Furthermore, they will build the infrastructure of the future for genome-based analytics and clinical applications.
Your duties will include:
- Carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Develop innovate concepts, theories, tools and techniques related to cloud-based genome analytics and variant prioritisation.
- Undertake regular reviews of relevant literature and patents.
- Produce high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in peer-reviewed journals, client reports, blog posts, and granting of patents Contribute to projects and carry out research to develop robust machine intelligence to make cyber security decisions when faced with complex security problems.
Location: Sydney NSW (preferred); Adelaide SA, Brisbane QLD, Canberra ACT or Melbourne VIC considered
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Bioinformatics, Statistical Genetics or Machine Learning. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Practical experience with genome analytics and statistical genetics applications in humans, such as NGS analytics, GWAS or eQTL.
- Evidence of advanced data analytics and programming capabilities in more than one language relevant for bioinformatics (e.g. Python, Java, C++, Scala, BASH, R, Julia).
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
19 November 2021, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 19 Nov 2021
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: