Research Projects Officer - Field Vegetation Ecologist - [Archived Advertisement]
Research Projects Officer - Field Vegetation Ecologist
- Use your botanical taxonomic and vegetation survey skills
- Work with stakeholders on projects located in Northern Australia
- Join CSIRO Land and Water and make a difference!
CSIRO Land & Water is seeking a motivated Field Vegetation Ecologist to join the Living Landscapes Program. The Living Landscapes Program brings together terrestrial ecologists and landscape biophysical scientists – providing capability in whole-of-system, scalable approaches to monitoring, assessing, evaluating and reporting on land and ecosystem outcomes.
As a Field Vegetation Ecologist, you will contribute to a range of projects that require good botanical taxonomic and vegetation survey skills. Many of the projects will be located in Northern Australia and involve field experimental design and implementation, vegetation sampling and monitoring, plant identification (native and non-native species), remote field work, and engagement and collaboration with Queensland and local Government staff and landholders, including Traditional Owners. Many of the projects are large, transdisciplinary and multi-institutional projects, so experience working in teams will be required.
Your duties will include:
- Undertaking fieldwork, primarily in Northern Australia, to collect metrics on vegetation and landscape condition, including vegetation species identification.
- Engaging and collaborating with a range of stakeholders to identify appropriate field sites, organising site access and communicating with landholders.
- Analysing collected field data by applying techniques such as GIS, remote sensing and appropriate statistical analysis. Meta data collation will also be required.
- Assessing vegetation structure, function and condition using a combination of field and desktop approaches and document the methods and results into reports and publications.
- Leading field trips, and being responsible for the HSE documentation and planning, often to remote regions for multiple days/weeks.
Location: Townsville QLD
Salary: AU$85k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- A relevant degree or equivalent relevant work experience in environmental science or fields such as ecology or botany.
- Demonstrated experience in the identification of Australian flora, with an emphasis on Northern Australian ecosystems, designing and leading field vegetation surveys, specimen collection and identification methods, and data collection and management systems.
- Experience in the interpretation and analysis of vegetation data.
- Knowledge and experience in using GIS and remote sensing products to support the design, collection and analysis of field data.
- Good oral and written communication skills with the demonstrated ability to communicate results and generate written reports.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment or independently and to allocate resources and tasks to achieve project goals.
- A current driver's licence.
- To be willing and able to travel domestically and undertake fieldwork, often in remote locations for periods up to two weeks at a time and undergo a pre-employment medical prior to commencement.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
25th October 2021, 11:00 pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 25 Oct 2021
- QLD - Townsville
- AU$85k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time