CERC Postdoctoral Fellowship in 4D Minerals Data Science - [Archived Advertisement]
CERC Postdoctoral Fellowship in 4D Minerals Data Science
- Do you have a PhD in a relevant discipline area, such as statistics / applied mathematics, artificial intelligence (including machine learning) or similar?
- Integrate geological knowledge and data to predict mineral distributions and improve processing productivity
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
The Sensing and Sorting program develops advanced technologies to aid CSIRO's objectives in creating a more sustainable, productive and globally competitive mining industry. We are seeking a curious, talented and ambitious Data Scientist or Applied Statistician/Mathematician to join a team of physicists and engineers in Sensing and Sorting at CSIRO’s Lucas Heights site in Sydney under the supervision of the Science Leader: 4D Minerals and the Mining Value Chain.
This is an exciting opportunity to integrate geological knowledge and data with various sensor measurements to predict mineral distributions and improve processing productivity for bulk ore sorting systems. The successful applicant will identify opportunities, explore research questions and make recommendations to support decision-making.
In this role you will be required to interact with other programs within CSIRO Mineral Resources (e.g., Discovery, Characterisation) and Data61 to translate data, information, and knowledge to support and augment modelling and simulation at different phases of the mining value chain.
Your duties will include:
- Deriving and communicating scientific requirements with an emphasis on data science and decision making with implementation both within CSIRO and to our industry and government partners.
- Conveying research ideas and scientific requirements into a technical software development plan.
- Actively contributing towards strategic development.
- Communicate effectively and respectfully with all staff, clients and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Work as part of and with multi-disciplinary, often regionally dispersed researchers and to carry out tasks autonomously in support of scientific research.
- Adapt and/or develop original experimental methods/equipment/ software/concepts/ideas in support of existing and further research.
Location: Lucas Heights, NSW
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area such as statistics / applied mathematics, artificial intelligence (including machine learning). Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Expertise with Bayesian inference, stochastic modelling methods and uncertainty quantification
- A high degree of competency in scientific computing languages (Python, R, Julia, etc)
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed team of engineers and domain researchers, and carry out tasks autonomously to produce scientific research.
If you meet the majority of these requirements, please consider applying.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or Australian temporary resident currently residing in Australia (visa sponsorship may be provided to eligible onshore candidates).
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
17 October 2021, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 17 Oct 2021
- NSW - Lucas Heights
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Research Assistants and Fellowships