Postdoctoral Fellowship - [Archived Advertisement]
- Do you have a PhD in a relevant discipline area, such as informatics, computer science or similar?
- Exciting opportunity to explore emerging research areas such network theory and computational thinking.
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
The postdoctoral researcher will support the Science Leader - Minerals 4D role in researching novel methods for geoscientific knowledge management. This role will provide needed research into providing rigorous and repeatable management of data, information and knowledge generated by geoscientific modelling and simulation. Knowledge management is key to advancing confidence in existing technologies that aid CSIRO's objectives in creating a more sustainable, productive and globally competitive mining industry.
We are seeking a talented Informatician or Computer Scientist to join a team of geologists, geophysicists, computer and software engineers to join the Discovery Program at CSIRO’s Kensington site in Perth under the supervision of the Science Leader: 4D Minerals and the Mining Value Chain.
This is an exciting opportunity where you will contribute to knowledge management through research into developing a geoscientific ontology and exploring emerging research areas such network theory and computational thinking.
To be successful you will need a high degree of competency in scientific computing languages, algorithm design and database technologies is required, with familiarity with decision theory, pattern recognition, generalisation and abstraction considered a bonus.
Your duties will include:
- Deriving and communicating scientific requirements with an emphasis on data science and decision making with implementation both within CSIRO and to our industry and government partners.
- Conveying research ideas and scientific requirements into a technical software development plan.
- Actively contributing towards strategic development.
- Communicate effectively and respectfully with all staff, clients and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Routinely maintain high software quality by using industry best practices, continuous integration, testing and deployments tools.
- Document software and algorithms and as required provide user training through regular meetings and workshops.
- Work as part of and with multi-disciplinary, often regionally dispersed researchers and to carry out tasks autonomously in support of scientific research.
- Adapt and/or develop original experimental methods/equipment/ software/concepts/ideas in support of existing and further research.
Location: Kensington, WA
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area such as informatics, computer science. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- The ability to liaise with subject matter experts and convert geoscientific models to formal semantic expressions.
- Experience working with ontological frameworks and the OWL2 and SPARQL languages.
- Fluency with RDF and able to work in context with knowledge graphs and/or triple stores.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed team of engineers and domain researchers, and carry out tasks independently in support of scientific research.
If you meet the majority of these requirements, please consider applying.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or Australian temporary resident currently residing in Australia (visa sponsorship may be provided to eligible onshore candidates).
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
10 October 2021, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 10 Oct 2021
- WA - Kensington
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: