- Be part of the high-performing Health Text Analytics Team within the Australian e-Health Research Centre.
- Develop and apply interpretable and practical software solutions to support clinical decision support.
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s premier science & technology research organisation.
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years relevant postdoctoral work experience.
As the Postdoctoral Fellow, you will contribute to projects in collaboration with healthcare stakeholders and academic partners. These projects will include the solving of research challenges associated with understanding and extracting key information from clinical text, and the development and deployment of related applications to support our research. These projects span the use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) methodologies including natural language processing, information retrieval, machine/deep learning and clinical terminologies to support clinical service delivery through AI enabled and interpretable decision support solutions.
The position will form part of the high-performing Health Text Analytics Team within the Australian e-Health Research Centre (AEHRC - http://aehrc.com/) – a world class centre undertaking research and development across health and biomedical informatics and health services. More information on CSIRO’s health text analytics capabilities are available at: https://aehrc.com/health-informatics/health-text-analytics/
Your duties will include:
- Carrying out innovative impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Undertaking clinical text extraction and classification research and development involving natural language processing (NLP), information retrieval (IR), machine/deep learning, and terminologies/ontologies.
- Developing and applicating interpretable and practical software solutions to support clinical decision support, evidence-based healthcare, and improved patient outcomes and health system productivity.
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Salary: AU$86k – AU$94k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as computer science, information technology, software engineering, or an equivalent field. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Demonstrated deep knowledge in information extraction and classification from free-text involving natural language processing (NLP), information retrieval (IR), machine/deep learning, and terminologies/ontologies.
- Demonstrated practical experience with machine learning libraries (e.g., scikit-learn), deep learning frameworks (e.g. TensorFlow or PyTorch), as well as NLP, IR and data mining/visualisation open source tools (e.g., GATE, NLTK, UIMA, Elastic Stack).
- Demonstrated technical ability in software development and programming skills (e.g. Python, Java).
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
- A sound history of publication in peer-reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, grant applications or patents.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, including the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
For more information please view the Position Description.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Sunday 18th October 2020 11:59 AEST
We reserve the right to withdraw this advert prior to the closing date