- Use your commercial publishing experience to support authors and editors
- Build and maintain relationships with the scientific community
- Join CSIRO and make a difference!
CSIRO Publishing is seeking a motivated Development Editor with a passion for science to join the Books team. In this diverse role, you will support and guide authors through the process from proposal acceptance to manuscript submission.
As the successful candidate, you will liaise with the book publishers and the editorial and production team. You will work closely with the scientific community and be responsible for author and project management by maintaining regular contact with authors, editors and colleagues to keep stakeholders informed.
Your duties will include
- Maintaining clear and regular communication with contracted authors, updating the books publishing team on manuscript progress, and alerting the Publishers to any potential delays or issues.
- Providing support, information and instructions to authors, editors and contributors.
- Creating, monitoring and manage contenting delivery schedules for authors and projects.
- Supervising final editorial preparation and handover of manuscripts for production.
- Writing marketing and back cover copy and ensure all bibliographic data is kept up-to-date.
- Assisting with the selection, briefing and management of illustrators for selected titles.
- Assisting with briefing cover designers and the management of internal approval for cover designs.
Location: Clayton, Melbourne VIC
Salary: AU$63k - AU$80k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 12 months
To be successful you will need
- A relevant bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant work experience in natural sciences, publishing or related field coupled with approximately 2 years' commercial publishing experience.
- Excellent organisational and project management skills and the ability to multitask, work under pressure, prioritise conflicting demands and adapt to changing deadlines.
- The ability to forge and maintain collaborative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- A high-standard of word processing coupled with the ability to use other PC software packages and experience in opening and manipulating different file types in software and graphics programs such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Previous development or production experience, especially of scientific books, understanding of copyright, and demonstrated passion for digital publishing development.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish - D&I Strategy
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Sunday 8th December 2019 (11 pm AEST)