- Do you have an interest in Social Media Mining?
- An exciting opportunity to conduct novel research with real-world impact!
- Join CSIRO and kick-start your research career!
CSIRO offers PhD graduates an opportunity to launch their scientific careers through our Postdoctoral Fellowships. These fellowships provide experience that will enhance career prospects and facilitate the development of potential leaders for CSIRO.
Owing to the terms of the fellowship, candidates must not have more than 3 years of relevant full time postdoctoral experience.
CSIRO’s Data61 is seeking a Postdoc Fellow to assist with processing social media in real-time. You as the successful candidate will have the opportunity to mine appropriate insights from social media (e.g., Twitter) in real-time and integrate them with other data sources for better detection, diagnosis and prognosis of infectious diseases, resulting in enhanced public health surveillance systems and models.
Your duties/responsibilities will include:
- Develop methods and algorithms for monitoring social media and other sources (mostly textual data) for early detection of human disease outbreaks.
- Evaluation of the existing and novel methods of event detection.
- Undertake regular reviews of relevant literature and patents.
Location: Marsfield NSW
Salary: AU$80K - $91K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term of 3 years
To be successful you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as computer science, information theory, statistics or mathematics.
- Proven ability to perform big data analytics on noisy data (social media) using state-of-the-art technologies.
- Expertise in natural language processing or machine learning on social web or information theory and modelling.
- Experience in developing tools by using state-of-the-art programming languages and software practices.
Before you apply please view the full position description and selection criteria here: Position Details Document
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
CSIRO’s Data61 business unit is the largest data innovation group in Australia, bringing together approximately 600 research and development staff working in digital technologies to create benefit for Australia. Data61 develops Australia's future leaders with its strong 300+ PhD student program in collaboration with our best universities across Australia.
Find out more! CSIRO Balance
Our Commitment to you:
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. We emphasise an individual’s growth and development which is supported by interacting and learning from world leading scientists and engineers, who provide the opportunity to challenge, transform and innovate new ideas. CSIRO’s Data61 is committed to sourcing the brightest and best talent to become part of the Data61 family, and contribute to creating Australia’s data driven future.
How to Apply: If you wish to apply for this position, please load your CV (Maximum 2MB) via our website at https://jobs.csiro.au/. You may also be required to respond to some screening questions. Where text responses are required, to avoid being timed out of the system we recommend that you prepare your responses off line and paste them into the appropriate spot prior to submitting your application.
Applications Close: 11:59pm AEST, Sunday 12 November 2017