- Utilise your skills in Biophysical techniques
- Collaborate with world leading, dedicated professionals in virology, molecular/cell biology & protein chemistry
- Join a multi-disciplinary team at the forefront of anti-viral strategies
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellows provide opportunities to scientists and engineers, who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships will help launch their careers, provide experience that will enhance their career prospects, and facilitate the recruitment and development of potential leaders for CSIRO.
Applications are invited for a 3 year CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in CSIRO Manufacturing. You will be involved in fragment screening and structure based drug design of new antivirals. You will join a cross-disciplinary team with expertise in virology, molecular/cell biology and protein chemistry to develop novel antivirals based around the disruption this enzyme.
Specifically you will:
- Under the direction of senior research scientists, carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Express, purify and characterise anti-viral target protein(s); perform fragment based screening and further exemplify lead molecules.
- Contribute to a team effort to assess the antiviral properties of lead molecules and to define the role of the cellular enzyme(s) in the virus infection cycle.
- Undertake regular reviews of relevant literature and patents.
- Produce high quality scientific papers suitable for publication in quality journals and granting of patents.
Location: Parkville, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Salary: AU$78K - AU$88K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: 3 year specified term
For more details about this exciting opportunity click on the position details link: Position Details
To be successful you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Structural Biology, Biophysics, Biochemistry.
- Demonstrated experience in protein expression, protein purification and the biophysical characterisation of proteins.
- A background / experience in Biophysical techniques such as X-ray crystallography, Surface Plasmon Resonance, or NMR.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, plus the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
Owing to the terms of the fellowship, candidates must not have more than 3 years of relevant full time postdoctoral experience.
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO we invent the future. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Our solutions make a difference to industry, people and the planet. As Australia’s national science agency we’ve been pushing the edge of what’s possible for almost 90 years. Today we have thousands of talented people working across Australia and internationally. Our people work closely with industry and communities to leave a lasting legacy. Collectively, our innovation and excellence places us in the top ten applied research agencies in the world. We Collaborate to Innovate.
How to Apply: To apply for this position please include with your CV/Resume and a statement addressing the essential criteria, and any other information that is relevant to the position. Please upload these as one document.
Applications close: 13 June 2017 (11:59pm AEST)