CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Automated Development and Application of Agricultural Models - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO - Data61 (View other jobs from this organisation)
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Automated Development and Application of Agricultural Models
- Do you have a PhD in a relevant discipline area, such as machine learning, computer science, statistics, data analytics or applied mathematics or similar?
- Join a shared strategy project for digital/data transformation for Australian agriculture
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
The CSIRO Data61 and Agriculture and Food business units have recently established a 3-year shared strategy project for digital/data transformation for Australian agriculture. As a member of this multidisciplinary team, you will work with CSIRO scientists and engineers, and collaborate with national and international university partners to develop automated workflows for model development using data from traditional and novel sources.
The CERC postdoctoral researcher will work closely with leading Data61 scientists in Natural Language Processing and Information Extraction, and the Agriculture and Food business unit Digital Innovations team, developing automated methods to develop and parameterise models using information gleaned from a variety of online sources. Your research will focus on developing computing workflows that inform our world leading farming systems models using novel data sources to provide insights on problems facing farmers. The successful candidate will work within national and international settings and as part of a diverse multidisciplinary team. The developed workflows will be tested and deployed in both scientific and real-world applications. They will present the findings in appropriate top-tier journals or conferences.
Your duties will include:
- Developing automated methods for applying world-leading simulation models, such as APSIM (www.apsim.info), using up-to-date information obtained from online sources (scientific literature, newsfeeds, databased) obtained using natural language processing undertaken by researchers in Data61.
- Using these automated methods to improve, test and verify model performance for scientific and real-world application using methods involving optimisation, machine learning and uncertainty analysis.
- Publishing results in relevant international scientific venues (high-level journals and conferences).
- Evaluating the developed software to demonstrate its competitiveness and fitness for purpose, taking responsibility for functionality, performance, and robustness.
Location: Toowoomba/Forest Hill, QLD. (location in Brisbane may be considered under some circumstances)
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
We’re interested in hearing from people who can demonstrate the following:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area such as machine learning, computer science, statistics, data analytics or applied mathematics. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- A sound history of publication in peer-reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, grant applications or patents.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out independent research.
- Experience in programming in C#, Python or equivalent.
- High-level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
If you meet the majority of these requirements, please consider applying.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or Australian temporary resident currently residing in Australia (visa sponsorship may be provided to eligible onshore candidates).
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
17 November 2021, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 17 Nov 2021
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Research Assistants and Fellowships
Statistics and Analytics