- Full time, continuing position base in the Camperdown Campus
- Exciting opportunity to join a dynamic team and contribute to its teaching and research initiatives in Creative Writing
- Base Salary $110,856 - $131,639 + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney seeks to appoint a continuing level B Lecturer in Creative Writing within the Department of English. Applications are welcomed from candidates who have an interest in innovative contemporary literature and a track record in writing and teaching across genres, including fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry and hybrid forms, and may include writing for performance. Applicants should have a PhD or equivalent (Doctor of Arts) in a relevant field, appropriate teaching experience in higher education, and literary and academic publications.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- contribute to outstanding teaching and learning outcomes by undertaking independent teaching in creative writing
- undertake original research (either independently or as part of a team) within the area of creative writing
- produce original creative written work
- engage with local and global communities of creative writers
- deliver a post-COVID alignment of the work of the University with the needs and aspirations of domestic students, communities, and other stakeholders
- build productive relationships, collaborations and partnerships with external parties
The Department of English sits under the School of Literature, Arts and Media. It is a vibrant school whose pedagogic practice, research profile and external engagements are shaped by lively synergies between traditional disciplines such as Art History, English and Linguistics, Media and Communication, Film and Museum Studies.
With nationally and internationally recognised research strengths in literary studies, visual arts, Indigenous studies, linguistics, communication and media practice, we embrace opportunities for interdisciplinary work and innovate in applying digital technology to the humanities.
We are looking for a Lecturer in Creative Writing who has:
- a doctoral degree in an academic field relevant to the discipline
- a developing knowledge and understanding of the key strategic issues in the discipline and higher education sector.
- demonstrated capacity to communicate effectively across a range of media and forums.
- deep and broad experience in teaching and learning, as evidenced by participation in team teaching within an established program and experience in teaching in a variety of settings.
- demonstrated success in designing, implementing and evaluating teaching and learning initiatives
- developing network of relationships with key academic, industry and professional institutions, partners and stakeholders.
- developing research profile evidenced by original, high-quality and independent research in the discipline or area of expertise.
- experience in supervising or mentoring others and/or coordinating team activities.
Closing date for applications
11.59pm, Monday 31st January 2022
Please note: The University of Sydney will be closed from 24 December 2021 until 9 January 2022 inclusive.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Visa sponsorship is available for this position
How to apply
Please click here to apply for the Lecturer in Creative Writing position.
© The University of Sydney