Innovation in Applied Design Lab
School of Architecture, Design and Planning
Reference no. 793/0417
- Join an organisation that encourages progressive thinking
- Build your academic career alongside internationally renowned colleagues
- Academic Level A appointments, full-time, 2 vacancies, one role is a 2 year fixed term and the other a 3 year fixed term
About the opportunity
The Innovation in Applied Design Lab is seeking highly motivated and qualified candidates for two Postdoctoral Research Fellowships. Candidates should have the capability to undertake a wide spectrum of research and development work in built environment fields. Current positions will reflect the Lab’s focus on industrialised design and construction, but are also intended to expand into related areas of study and R&D. The successful candidates will work directly with industry and the wider research group, and will require a broad range of skill sets and experience across a number of categories.
The Innovation in Applied Design Lab (IAD Lab) is a collaborative cross-disciplinary research laboratory at the University of Sydney’s School of Architecture, Design, and Planning. The Lab operates at the forefront of applied research, bridging academic and industry domains, and is broadly cast to examine a range of built environment topics.
The successful candidate will work within the collaborative research team of the Innovation in Applied Design Lab under the supervision of Associate Professor Mathew Aitchison, and on the various projects and teams within the Lab.
We are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Architecture who possesses:
- A PhD in architecture, or a closely related field
- Relevant work experience in research, practice or industry
- A proven capacity in two or more of the following areas:
- Architectural design
- Digital material fabrication technologies and techniques
- Sustainable design, environmental simulation and optimisation
- Manufacturing processes
- Advanced CAD and/or BIM expertise, including design and manufacturing process management
- High performance building envelopes
- Supply chain management and logistics
- Construction and/or construction management
- Residential design, development and documentation
- Excellent teamwork capacity
- High-level problem solving skills
- Good graphic presentations skills
- Ability to work in a complex and challenging environment.
What to bring?
- Innovator – you will need a deep commitment to research and innovation.
- Team player – our lab thrives on genuine and generous collaboration.
- Problem solver – we need solutions to problems that can be applied in practice.
- Curious – what you know now is important, what you know in 3 years more so.
- Agile – we are fast-growing and forward-thinking, we need you to be adaptable.
- Self-directed – we need researchers who can project-manage and self-organise.
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm 4 June 2017 (Sydney time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.