Sydney School of Education and Social Work
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Reference no: 373/0217
- Contribute to the faculty’s well-respected teaching program and research profile
- Benefit from working in a collegiate team environment focused on social inclusion and critical enquiry
- Full-time, continuing appointment with attractive remuneration
About the opportunity
The SSESW seeks to appoint a Senior Lecturer or Associate Professor in Social Work & Policy Studies (which is an Academic Level C or D appointment). In this role you will engage with and contribute to faculty learning and teaching activities and processes. This includes teaching, course coordination and review in both the postgraduate and undergraduate Social Work and Policy Studies programs (preparation and delivery of lectures, tutorials, seminars and workshops, marking and assessment, field education and honours supervision, and associated administrative duties). You will make a strong contribution to the Faculty’s research profile and productivity, and higher degree research student supervision. You’ll contribute to administration and (at level D) academic leadership.
The Sydney School of Education and Social Work (SSESW) is a national and international leader in Education, Social Work and Social Policy committed to: excellence in professional education; rigorous research-informed and theoretical understanding of the social, political and cultural contexts of education, social work and social policy; and, informed and critical engagement with theory, policy and practice in ways designed to transform communities and individual lives in socially just ways. Our work is characterised by strong relationships between research, scholarship, teaching and learning that contribute to building partnerships for professional education and critical research, policy and practice collaborations.
The social work degrees offered at the University of Sydney include the Bachelor of Social Work and Master of Social Work (Qualifying) complying with the University of Sydney policies and procedures and Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) accreditation guidelines.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. We are looking for a well-rounded experienced academic who possesses:
- a completed PhD or Doctorate of Social work and a social work qualification with eligibility for membership of the AASW
- knowledge of current theory and practice in Social Work in the Australian context. Demonstration of a significant original contribution to the discipline at the national level in research, scholarship and teaching that have expand knowledge or practice in discipline
- experience designing, teaching, assessing and coordinating undergraduate and postgraduate units of study, and the ability to use ICT for teaching and learning
- a strong record of research and publications and evidence of both individual and collegial contribution to research
- experience supervising research students
- strong communication skills and a collegial approach including developing and maintaining relationships with external partners.
There are further selection criteria for appointment at Associate Professor level.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across 9 campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 47,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, 12 April 2017 (Sydney time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
If we think your skills are needed in other areas of the University, we will be sure to contact you about other opportunities.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.